So today was the day! I ventured out to the Chinese Market with a friend yesterday and got all the goods to make my California Roll! While the kiddo’s were sleeping, I steamed my rice, prepped my rolling mat and cleaned my counter to prepare for this yummy lunch. The first one was a bit goofy looking. But the second one went up without any hitches. I love to have a full belly.
Here is a link/video on how to make your own. I found it very helpful. And ABSOLUTLY wrap your mat in plastic. Don’t skip that step or you’ll end up with sticky rice everywhere! Good luck!
- 5 cups of sushi rice
- 4 sheets of nori (toasted seaweed)
- 7 teaspoons toasted seasame seeds
- 1/2 Japanese cucumber (I used a regular cucumber and sliced thin)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 5 ounces of imitation crabmeat (I prefer the “sticks” and not the chunks)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of sliced scallions
- Prepare your rice according to directions.
- Mix your mayo and scallions, set aside.
- Cut your Avocado, Cucumber and set aside.
- Prepare your mat, cover with plastic so the sticky rice doesn’t stick!
- Make sure everything is close at hand before starting your roll.
- Lay your seaweed shiny side down.
- Wet your hands to deal with stick rice. Cover your seaweed fully.
- Carefully turn seaweed over.
- Spread your mayo mixture thinly over whole surface of seaweed.
- Add your Crabstick, Avocado and Cucumber.
- Roll over seaweed, tight.
- Use a SHARP knife to cut your roll (I used a serrated knife)
- Transfer to plate and enjoy!
I made a happy plate! Yummy!!!